Instances of crazy fixes that actually ended up working. Or not working, I'm a description, not the cops.
The premier "slapping a fan on something" subreddit since August 2012.
If you feel a post breaks the rules in any way:
Click on the report button for the submission or comment. It's anonymous and it flags the post for moderator attention.
Copy the link for the reported post (either "# comments" for a submission or "permalink" for a comment) and message it to the moderators. Including a reason why you reported it is helpful.
2) A Macgyvered solution is defined as fixing something by using parts that are not the intended replacement parts and/or using unorthodox methods to get something working again. A Macgyvered solution is also improving on something (whether or not it works) by improving existing functionality in an unorthodox way or by using unorthodox parts. It is not about whether or not the repair works, but the spirit of the endeavor.
3) Try to keep things relevant to the subreddit. It doesn't have to be a computer or even electronics - it just has to be Macgyver-y.
4) Text posts are allowed, but images are preferred.
5) Please respect the mods. They're moderating this because they want to, not because they have to.
6) Any and all repairs, modifications, hacks, changes, etc. made (hardware and/or software) are done at your own risk. We encourage and enjoy modding & hacking, but please do it safely and please remember that things can go wrong!
After someone, probably me, has been a but rough with my charger cable it shorted with a small crackle that made me jump last night. I unplugged it and took a look at it today. Took of some isolation and fond a screen terminal.
Ended up using this random ass speaker and connecting it the motherboard using only tape and solder wire.
There was only space in the housing where it was taped down With yellow tape
Hi! This sub has continued to be over ran by people who post for tech support. Which it is at the point I’m about to un-sub.
Before doing so I thought I would reach out and try to help the situation before just leaving. I would be willing to be a mod, and I have mod experience. I am admittedly on Reddit more than I should and would be glad to help keep this sub full of the jank fixes we all love.
If other people feel the same please comment
using a external gpu box to power my graphics card
My little girl gets dropped off at my office around 2pm after school on Fridays. Now I won’t say whether or not the reason the office microwave needed replacement was because she had previously forgotten to add water causing all the oil in the ramen to reach the smoke point and flash convert into a noxious smoke bomb almost needing us to evacuate the class we had going on (thankfully we had a ton of air purifiers from Covid).
Yes that’s the steam wand on the espresso maker I donated, yes I first filled the bowl with hot water from the espresso side but that doesn’t get it hot enough to fully soften the noodles.
I use these batteries to power led lights that usually takes 4 AAA batteries
Behold the power supply to end all power supplies
Lost my AM2 backplate and had to butcher the one that came with my cooler